Home
Comics
D&D
Music
Banner Archive

Marvel Comics Timeline
Godzilla Timeline


RSS

   

« D&D: August 2015 | Main | D&D: November 2015 »

D&D

Recap 69

The Hospitality of Nilbog


By min | September 24, 2015, 12:37 PM | D&D | Link



Beware the Jabberhorde, my son

When i re-started my comic project with 1991, i intended to stop painting miniatures. But with all the miniatures i've been painting i've developed some new techniques, and i wanted to try one of them on some older minis that i have. In addition to the Bones minis that i got from the Kickstarter, i have pile of very basic plastic miniatures from an old game. Just some generic skeletons, orcs, and one-eyed lizard men. I've already painted a lot of them and at this point they are kind of boring to do, so i force myself to do a couple every so often. But this time i thought it would be interesting to try that new technique. So i took three skeletons and painted them black, and then drybrushed them. I did a white one and also just for a fun a red one and a gold one. And i really like how they came out.

So with that, i did the same thing with a lizard man, painting him black and then using a hideous florescent green that was in my pack of paints but which i never thought i'd use with swords & sorcery miniatures. But dry-brushed on top of the black, it came out really well.

So then i decided to go a step further and, instead of base-coating in black, trying a dark red. I thought i could get some interesting shading with that. So i did that with an orc and a lizard man. But it didn't work out at all. The drybrushed paint ended up being barely visible until i used a color that was way too light, and i didn't like how that looked. So i ended up undoing the dry brushing and just painting them the traditional way.

But while i was painting them, i wound up spilling a lot of the red paint. Luckily it all landed on my palette. I wasn't going to get it back in the paint jar, but i could use it all right away and not let it go to waste. So i went to the Bones box, looking for a large figure that wanted to be base coated in red. I found the jabberwocky. I originally intended to "research" (i.e. google) and see if the jabberwocky is traditionally a certain color, but with the red paint sitting there i decided red would be fine. Luckily, red turns out to be a good choice.

One problem with the jabberwocky, like with a lot of the Bones, is that he's all flimsy and unstable. Normally i identify when that's a problem ahead of time, and (*sigh*) put the figure in boiling water, pose it so that it will stand, and then put it in a bowl of ice to stabilize it in that new position. But since my paint was drying up i didn't have time to do any of that. So after i painted him, he just kept falling over. I left some stuff laying on him over night, hoping that would bend him in a better position, but no dice. So i ended up microwaving him in 15 second intervals until he was malleable (but before he melted/exploded). Then i positioned him and stuck him in the freezer. Madness, but it seems to have worked. He's still kind of wobbly but he doesn't fall unless you bang on the table pretty hard.


By fnord12 | September 16, 2015, 4:07 PM | D&D | Comments (8)| Link



All Horde all the time

Just some more quickies this time. Some skeletons, rat swarms, spiders, a lizard man, and a guy that seemed just a little too chiseled to be a real person, so i painted him like a golem. I also did a pair of vampires who are a little more detailed. But just wanted this to be a quickie, so no close-up pics.


By fnord12 | September 4, 2015, 2:50 PM | D&D | Comments (1)| Link



Grunt Horde

Lo, i am Fnord, Destroyer of Paint Brushes. There comes a time in every paint project where you decide you need to use your detail brush for drybrushing and after that you can just forget about using it for eyeballs, and pretty soon even belts are impossible. So while i'm waiting for a new set of brushes to come from Amazon, i decided to crank out some grunt monsters that don't require as much precision.

First up are four hobgoblins. I call them hobgoblins, anyway. They are too small to be ogres, and they've got faces like goblins but they are bigger, so hobgoblins it is.

Next up a pair of undead to be used as zombies, ghouls, ghasts, or wights as necessary. Can always use more wights.


By fnord12 | September 3, 2015, 12:24 PM | D&D | Link



Graveyard Horde

A wizard, a dwarf warrior, and some more giant rats. If i was really awesome i would have free-handed some runes on the wizard's scroll; i don't know why they didn't carve anything onto that.

A barbarian and a warrior. I started off thinking that the barbarian was just going to be a regular warrior in armor, but as i started painting her i realized that she had a lot of straps (even on her sword) and that she had bone claws on her gauntlet and other such stuff. Then i sadly realized she had a bare midriff and was semi-barefoot. So, another figure that my female players will never want to actually use, but she'll still be useful as an NPC. I also wound up accidentally giving her Crazy Eyebrows which i kind of like if she's a barbarian. The warrior's sword is permanently bent at a dumb angle. I did try the "put it in boiling water, straighten it, put it in ice water" trick but the sword was really stubborn. #@#@$! plastic miniatures.

A grave digger, a swarm of bats, and a skeleton grave digger. FWIW, i find that players react very badly to the word "swarm". The skeleton grave digger is actually the manufacturer Reaper's mascot, i think (or one of them). I gave him a Skeletor color scheme.


By fnord12 | September 2, 2015, 2:22 PM | D&D | Link



« D&D: August 2015 | Main | D&D: November 2015 »